Contact Information:

Social Services
City of Richmond


Marshall Plaza Building
900 E. Marshall Street
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It


Customer Care Center:
Call 3-1-1
(804) 646-7212 (Outside Richmond Area)


East Richmond:
East District Center
701 North 25th Street
Richmond, VA 23223-6539
Hours: Mon-Tues-Thurs 9:00am-12:00pm
Map It


Marshall Plaza Building
900 East Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1538
Map It


South Richmond:
Southside Community Services Center
4100 Hull Street Road
Richmond, VA 23224-1745
Map It


RDSS COVID-19 Updates, Resources and FAQ’s
  • Cooling Assistance applications can be completed online at, by phone through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, (855) 635-4370, or by using one of the DSS Boxes at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street) or Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street). The maximum benefit for electricity payments is $300. The maximum benefit will be approved for all households approved for payment of electric bill and will be issued at the time of the case approval. The deadline to apply for Cooling Assistance is August 15.


  • Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call (804) 646-7000. Benefit workers will contact citizens directly to conducted interviews by phone.


  • Emergency SNAP benefits will be issued in June and will be issued again on July 17th. Citizens can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call (804) 646-7000. Citizens who need to apply for benefits should call the Enterprise Call Center at (855) 635-4370 or go online. Pending applications, renewals or verifications can be faxed to (804) 646-7018 or placed in the drop box at the front of the Marshall Plaza or Southside Community Service Center. Citizens needing an EBT replacement card are encouraged to call (866) 281-2448. If you have questions about your EBT card, call the 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at (866) 281-2448.


  • Virginia will issue Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits for children who are eligible for free and reduced lunch. How do I know if I am eligible? Schools will provide information for all eligible students directly to VDSS. Households do not have to apply for P-EBT. If you believe there are eligible students in your household but you do not receive P-EBT by the middle of June, call (804) 646-7000 or go on line @


  • To report a suspected child abuse or neglect, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm) at (804) 646-0438 or the DSS 24/7 CPS Hotline at (800) 552-7096.


  • Adult Protective Services (APS) staff are available to respond to allegations of abuse and/or neglect involving the elderly or adults with a disability. To make a report, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond City Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 5:00pm) at (804) 646-7405 or the 24/7 APS Hotline at (888) 832-3858.


  • Citizens who need to submit benefit case documentation (Required Verifications, Pending Renewals, SNAP Interim Reports and Change Forms only) can email them to

For additional information on Richmond City Services please click on the City of Richmond, VA link
City of Richmond - Preparation for and response to COVID-19


Department of Social Services (DSS)
Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: June 8, 2020

Call: (855) 635-4370
Fax a paper application to: (804) 646-7018
Drop Box at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street)
Drop Box at Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street)

Call: (855) 635-4370

Call: (866) 281-2448
(Toll-free, 24 Hour Customer Service Hotline)

If you believe there are eligible students in your household but you do not receive P-EBT by the middle of June call (804) 726-7000

Call to report child abuse: (804) 646-0438
(After Hours: (800) 552-7096)
Call to report elder abuse: (804) 646-7405
(After Hours: (888) 832-3858)

Call: 3-1-1 or (804) 646-7212

Are Emergency SNAP benefits going to be issued?
Yes. Virginia will issue emergency allotments to households in June. The emergency benefits will allow the household’s current monthly allotment to increase to the maximum allotment for a household of that size.
Will there be an increase in the SNAP benefits to the current SNAP caseload during the COVID-19 public emergency?
Yes. Virginia issued emergency allotments to households in March, April and May, and will issue again on June 17. The emergency benefits will allow the household’s current monthly allotment to increase to the maximum allotment for a household of that size.

The emergency allotment was calculated by the maximum allotment issuance for the household size, minus the amount that was issued for that month. If you received the maximum benefit you would not be eligible to receive the emergency allotment.

Yes. The regular allotment will go out in accordance to the regular staggering schedule which occurs on the 1st, 4th and 7th of each month.

You may complete an online screening at Scroll to the middle of the page and click "Am I Eligible?" Please remember this is a prescreening tool, you must apply for SNAP to get a final decision.

There are no policy changes to the SNAP application process. Households must file an application for SNAP benefits with the Local Department of Social Services in the locality where the household resides.

You can apply for Medicaid at any time at Medicaid covers a variety of services, including testing and treatment for COVID-19.

Medicaid is allowing members to fill a 90-day supply of many routine prescriptions. Check with your pharmacist or doctor.

No, Virginia Medicaid will not cancel coverage for eligible individuals due to a change in circumstances or paperwork issues. Our priority is to maintain your coverage during this time. If you experience issues, please contact so that we might assist you.

Go Online!

CommonHelp Logo

Did you know you can check eligibility, apply for, review, renew and report changes to your benefits online? You can access CommonHelp from:

  • Your personal computer
  • A mobile phone or tablet with internet access
  • A Richmond Public Library computer
  • A RDSS facility computer kiosk

Visit today and skip the line!


Apply over the phone by calling the New Enterprise Customer Call Center at (855) 635-4370


Our Programs

Children, Families, and Adults (CF&A)  

The Division of Children, Families and Adults focuses on ensuring that families and children are safe and secure in their own homes, in foster homes, and throughout the community at large.


Children’s Services Act (CSA)

The office of the Children’s Services Act provides child-focused, cost-effective services to troubled and at-risk youth and their families. In collaboration with parents, private service providers, and other state and local agencies, CSA develops community and family-based plans to address the needs of at-risk children in their home, keeping families together whenever possible.


Economic Support and Independence (ES&I)  

The Division of Economic Support and Independence provides residents in need with tools and opportunities that promote economic stability. ES&I supplies aid for those citizens who require assistance preserving their own health and well-being, while also equipping them with skills that encourage self-sufficiency.


Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).


To file a complaint of discrimination, write

USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

Vision 2023