John Marshall Courts Building
400 North 9th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Days of Operation: Monday - Friday
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Recording Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Marriage Licenses: 8:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
|General Info||(804) 646-6505|
|Marriage License||(804) 646-6767|
|Jury Duty Line||(804) 646-0802|
|Jury Question Line||(804) 646-6501|
|Criminal Section||(804) 646-6553|
|Civil Section:||(804) 646-6536|
|Record Room||(804) 646-6530|
Due to the COVID-19 Emergency Order an appointment is required in order to obtain a Marriage License at the City of Richmond Circuit Court. Please call 804-646-6506 to make an appointment.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Who May Marry in Virginia
The minimum age for marriage in Virginia is 18 years old, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order.
Obtaining a Marriage License
- Marriage licenses are issued from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Licenses are issued regardless of the applicants' residence as long as the marriage will take place in Virginia.
- Both parties must be present and must present a photo I.D.
- The marriage license fee is $30.00. Payment must be cash or credit/debit card.b
- Blood tests are not required.
- The marriage license is valid for 60 days. If the marriage does not take place within 60 days from the date the license was issued, a new license must be issued and additional fees must be tendered. There is no provision for a refund.
- If either party is divorced, the date of the final divorce decree is required. Applicants must furnish first, middle and last names of parents, including maiden name of mother.
- You may purchase a certified copy of the marriage license for a fee of $2.50.
- We do not conduct wedding ceremonies, but do have a list of civil celebrants if requested.
After the Wedding
- The marriage celebrant returns the executed marriage license to the Clerk's Office for permanent retention.
Changing Names After Marriage
- Contact the Social Security Administration and DMV in order to obtain information regarding requirements for changing names.
Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage License
Certified copies are $2.50 each and are available by written request or in the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk). Credit cards are also accepted for the payment of such fees, in person.
- For marriage licenses issued between July 1, 1997 and June 30, 2001, Virginia law requires that the Clerk's Office obtain permission from one of the married parties before providing a copy to others. Written requests for certified copies of a marriage license should include the following: names of the parties who were married, date of marriage, and a check or money order for $2.50 made payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk.
- For copies of licenses issued prior to July 1, 1997 or after June 30, 2001, permission is not required of the married parties. Written requests for certified copies should include the following: names of the parties who were married, date of marriage, and a check or money order for $2.50 made payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk.
Minister Authorization to Perform Marriages
- The Clerk's Office may authorize certain ministers to perform marriage ceremonies, provided that the minister meets the requirements of § 20-23 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended. Out-of-state ministers may be authorized for a one-time ceremony, provided the ceremony will take place in Virginia.
- Before visiting the Clerk's Office to request authorization, please contact the office by phone at 804-646-6506 to confirm the process to follow.