The city of Richmond wants everyone to be able to access and understand the information on our website.
IF YOU CAN NOT ACCESS OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND OUR WEBSITE, PLEASE CALL OUR CUSTOMER CONTACT LINE AT 311.
The City of Richmond encourages the public to visit the city's website (https://www.rva.gov) as the first place to look for information on city resources and services. The city is dedicated to facilitating easy access to web resources for all citizens. Computers with web access are available for public use in City Hall as well as all Richmond Public Libraries. If you cannot access the web, or if you have questions concerning the content on the city's web pages, do not hesitate to CALL 311 FOR ASSISTANCE. The Richmond 311 Call Center operators are available Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. to answer your questions.
What is "Accessibility"?
"Accessibility" means that all people, despite physical challenges and disabilities, can access web resources to find the information they need. Meeting this goal is a challenge. Technology to make "accessibility" a reality is constantly changing; both for the provider of the information as well as the person requesting the information. The city continues to work hard to improve how they deploys technology to better present data to the public. The following is a list of the commonly used resources the city uses for guidance.
- Section 508 technical standards
- Web Accessibility Initiative of the World Wide Web Consortium
- Information Technology Technical Assistance and Training Center
While it is the city's goal to become fully "accessible" by all citizens, it will require time to implement. The city would like to remind visitors to call the 311 Call Center, as an alternative resource for finding information.
- Enhance the accessibility to city forms
- Ensure newly created applications are accessible
- Upgrade legacy applications to become accessible
- Upgrade legacy data for accessibility
- Adding accessibility as a requirement for "software as a service" or "consumer off the shelf" products that we use.